XY 3.55

 -> Harmon Seaver:
HS->   You might want to play around with using XY4 with the bitstream fonts
 -> and *.dlg and *.mnu files removed. It worked fine on my little Zeos
 -> subnotebook that way (8088 cpu at 4.74mhz and 1 meg of RAM, no HD or floppy

What!? Is any serious Xywriter actually using speedo fonts?

But I confess I have an attitude against Bitstream. Years ago
when postscript was expensive and 30 to 40 fonts was considered
extensive, I earned enough to spend the $2000 for a Jetscript
board to turn my HPII into a PS printer. I had a rush, rush
project to do, and switched to PS. Now, I had a few Bitstream
fonts, and according to a then PC Mag review, the Bitstream
PS conversion utility was pretty good and the result was
acceptable.

The conversion worked but the fonts were crap. Absolutely
unusable. I called my service bureau and ordered the PS
equivalent; it relayed the order to Linotype here on LI; and I
drove to pick up the fonts that afternoon. Going there wasn't too
bad, but I'll never, never forgive Bitstream for my being stuck
on the LIE during rush hour.

That's how intelligent decisions are made, and why I wish Xy
never teamed up with Bitstream in the first place.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx
http://www.asb.com/usr/chet/