Re: Keyboard changes [and html]

> But to save my life I couldn't have told you what was on
> default kbd F1. Since my xyWrite day one, my DF has been the
> lower left corner key no matter what the key was marked--

You mean ctrl? alt? Z?

> F9 on day one, CapsLk now--with my UD key next to it,
> F10 then, \ now. My XC, CC, and BC moved that day where they
> are now, on prominent keys near the cursor keypad--keys marked
> +, Del, and Ins now; the 5 key is my TI, the ` key just below
> my BackSpace is my &D (RC and buffer chars). My DF key turns
> into RD when a block is already under way (thank you, Herb).
> With UD next door, no need for MV or CP and my kbd has neither.

That's a good solution.

> What surprises me is that anyone did use the dreadful
> default kbd long enough to know what's on any key.

Well it does have some good ideas. As this "mensch" (thanks Harry!) has
already said: F1=df. I find it useful to have things you need to think
about on the function keys. And defining, which you definitely have to
think about, is one of the primary functions a XyWriter will use.
Besides which: F9 is closer (at least on standard-issue keyboards) to
where, if you looked from the func. keys to the screen, the help icon
actually is. Similarly, copy and move are things you need to think
about, so F7 and F8 do fine for my purposes. And F5, to get to the
command line, is an index-finger key, easy to use.

Also, I still like ctrl-r/l arrow to get to end/beginning of line. Home
will always mean top of the screen to me, and end bottom. That is
logical. If alt arrow gets you to the next or previous word, then ctrl
arrow ought to get you to the end/begining of a line.

> My map
> doesn't refer to it in any way, because the only times I've
> ever used it have been when using other people's computers.
> The remappable kbd is what presold me on xyWrite. F1 has long
> been my se key; F3 and F4 are ci and cv. F2 once was seb,
> but !^v in its present form makes a seb key pretty much
> superfluous, so F2 is now the dedicated key for my html
> tagging table. Which brings me to the somewhat related
> subject of this already overlong msg. Sorry.

Not to worry.

> Since he apparently doesn't think it's worth mentioning
> publicly, I'm going to disclose a variation on a container
> tagging macro Leslie Bialler shared with me that's so neat
> it made me rethink xyWrite and html from the ground up.

Gawrsh! Thanks, Annie.

> Inserts /tag at {cp} when a tag precedes it:
>
> 00=GTSI,<,GHEL,s,e,b, , ,<, ,CIELCRCRXCXCCRXDDFGHRCCRCRWSCLXCCLDF
> GH,<,XCSI,/,CPXDGHRCBDBDBDBDBDGT,>,CI
>
> Wish I'd thought of it. It got me to thinking of DF
> in the context of tagging, since the sequence undefines
> an existing block and I have pgm modules that aren't kbd
> macros expressly in order to manage preexisting blocks.
> Never mind, I decided. And then ... comes the dawn. Am
> I the last to catch on to this? This sequence requires
> an ldpm (call it &C) that grabs {is00} and makes it {isC}
> (change to meet your needs). DF one end of the text you want
> tagged, move cursor to other end, type tag (and optionally
> attributes and values) on CMline or use an html .kbd table
> to put them there, and tap this key:
>
> 00=GT&CDFDBSI,<,@C,>,DE,<,/,@C, ,>,GHEL,s,e,b, , ,/,ELCRCRCIXC
> CRGH, , ,WS, ,CLCLXCCLXDDFGH,>,XCCLDFRDCRGHBDBDBDBDBDRCGT

Ah I see you have taken my meager effort and surpassed it majorly.

> Leaves tag at the beginning of what was the block, cursor
> at the end after the /tag. If block hadn't been begun,
> leaves both tag and /tag at {cp}. (I immediately changed
> all my MD keys except mdnm so they work the same way.)
> The tag key that completes the trilogy:
>
> 00=GT&CSI,<,@C,>,CI
>
> All sequences leave xyW in CI; season to taste. Tag and
> tag/tag sequences leave the tag on the CMline--nice if you
> have more text to tag the same way, not so good if you don't
> unless you use xyWrite 3 !xyWise, which lets you overwrite
> the tag with the preceding command or any of a dozen
> archived to its command buffer. (!xyWise grabs and archives
> commands, repairs those xyWrite has broken, and records the
> CMline {cp} as well as profiling for restoration TI state
> and CMline/text cursor location. Send anyone who tells you
> it can't be done to the URL in my sig.)

Is this designed to work in all versions of XyWrite? It seems to be
written for 3+.

> !xyWise add-on !xyWWWiz http://www.escape.com/%7Eadpf/_xywwwiz.htm
> is those keys and a similar set that hide tag in prompt, xyCode
> pretags and pure html .kb3 tables, a xyCode pretags converter,
> .kb3 macros that hide or show all tags, etc. This isn't an
> approach that slips easily into the BX/Q2 mold. !xyWWWiz also
> includes two files that try to add some !xyWise functionality
> to xyDos 4 and NB for tagging, but they're untested since I
> don't have xyDos 4 installed anymore and don't own NB. If anyone
> wants to be a guinea pig, I'd love to hear whether they work.
> I know xyWrite 3 !xyWWWiz does.
>
> Thanks again, Leslie.

You're welcome. I'll try this out, but it will take me a while.

 ... Ciao.
    --a
--
Leslie Bialler