Re: vDosPlus packaged for the Mac

Reply to note from flash  Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:24:12
+0200

flash:

> The publishers with whom I work just don't want to have anything
> to do with file formats other than MS-Office .docx these days.

For me, vDosPlus has breathed new life into XyWrite. Inevitably, my
writing for work is dominated by docx and pdf. Isn't everyone's? But
vDosPlus keeps Xy relevant by making it effortless to print or export
to these formats and, in the other direction, to import data from
Windows applications for mouse-free manipulation via the CMline. So,
after three decades and counting, Xy still fills an important niche.

It's true, as Harry says, that XPL runs an order of magnitude slower in
vDosPlus than in a 32-bit Windows VDM. In practice, though, I never
notice: with today's processors everything happens more or less
instantaneously anyway. When I have a task that's too much for XPL, I
use a more robust scripting language -- AutoIt or Python -- launched
from Xy, and import the results back into Xy. AutoIt, in particular,
teams up very nicely with XPL for this purpose, and a lot of recent
additions to U2 use it.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx