Re: Further to Portable NB batch file

At 08:32 AM 9/21/2008, Robert Holmgren wrote:
After you **newly installed NB on Z:** ? Pointing at WHAT root
of what hard disk? The hard disk isn't involved. You plug the
thumb into the host, and it becomes e.g. F:. You run LAUNCHNB
and it maps F: to Z:. No hard disk involved here. Now, if you
just copied over an installation that used to be on a hard disk
to your thumb, then of course NB thinks it is still in the
location where it was originally installed, C:\NB or whatever
the default is, I forget. I would modify the INI file rather than overwriting it with something "copied over" -- there's some binary code in there. And don't forget that there are some things that simply
won't work, like the installed printers stanza.
Mucked it up a bit. Bet that's why NB in its status line tells me I'm
in C:. I installed to Z: (thumb) fresh from the original disk, then
updated from the NB web site, then copied the .ini, .dfl .kbd and
startup files I had already modified under your first scheme from
copies I'd taken from the hard disk, C:. Wasn't thinking. I'll wipe
it clean and start again. Change the files that need changing, one by
one on Z: (F:).
Michael Norman