Re: Nota Bene Postcard

Nicholas Clifford wrote:

> A neat bit of deduction. Yes, I got a card, too, and had never been in
> touch with NB either.

I believe most, if not all, registered XyWrite users received this.
Nicholas, and others, will not have failed to notice that over the years
Tech Group has scrupulously refrained from ever notifying anybody about
anything, except to announce the availablity of a beta version of the
smart words engine (curiously, as someone pointed out, on April 1), but
only to this list, and actually taking orders for the thing.

Shortly thereafter, Ken Frank (who I assure you does exist--or at least
did), disappears from this list, apparently never to return.

Then six months later, the list of registered XyWrite users hears from
Nota Bene, which apparently wishes to provide us with a genuine, tech
supported, documented product for a reasonable price.

 >From this I deduce that Ken Frank (presuming he still exists) or whoever
now runs Tech Group, sometime in the last six months, made a deal with
Nota Bene, and included in that deal was an agreement to _never_ ship
the Smart Words beta, which doubtless would have cut into the sales Nota
Bene hopes to make with us, registered users.

One can hardly blame the Nota Bene people, who probably weren't even
aware of plans for list members to receive the Smartwords beta.

Anyhow, we intend to order it.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press