Re: OT: Quick substitute for re-booting

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:

> If you don't already know, instead of rebooting,
> often it's sufficient to
> log off and log back on again. And it's about 10
> times quicker.

Harry,

A Windows geek I know mentioned some kind of hack or
patch that is supposed to dramatically speed up the
Shut Down process. (I'm going to ask for more
details, when next I see him.) If this is for real,
it left me wondering if there might exist anything
like that for bootups. Supposedly, some study showed
that the maximum most people were willing to wait for
a bootup to run its course (for *any* OS) was in the
35 - 45 second range. I'm running about 40 seconds
now for W2K. eCS takes more like 20 - 25. Linux --
no idea.

Jordan