Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 12:49:53PM +0300, Kari Eveli wrote:

> The industry standard is most likely InDesign, but I do not know if it makes
> any sense to try to support that program. (I personally use Xara Designer
> for publishing and web design, an easy, affordable, and very versatile
> program). It would have made more sense to support Ventura and Quark back in
> the 1990's, but these are things of the past. There is much open-source
> LaTeX code around, and integrating that into XyWrite could be meaningful.
> Still, it is a very big effort.
>
> Another point to concentrate on might be XML content editing which could be
> formatted in various ways using open-source formatting code (e.g. The
> Apache’ FOP Project, https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/). Relevant ideas on
> content editing might be gathered from DocBook markup system, too. These
> things may be of interest to the folks at NB.

There are a lot of standards out there. I would suggest everyone check out the lighter markup
formats like markdown, pandoc, and the one i use asciidoctor. They are all ascii based, and can
therefore you can use Xy to write them, then most of them will output to html, pdf, etc.

Also check out pandoc as it converts to/from a multitude of output format like Latex, Docbook, Word,
html, etc.

If your going to keep XY, have it be able to output to Latex or some other layout format. For the
moment, you can get that using Pandoc.

fwiw,

Russ