Re: DOSEMU/DOSBOX question

Wally Bass wrote:
Flash wrote: >Good thinking. But is this necessary for xy4 with the >appropriate updates from Robt., Carl, and co.? Turbo xy4 can >read long file names (one of the reasons to upgrade from xy3). >Or did I mess something earlier in this thread? I haven't looked at functions you are referring to, but my guess is that they don't solve much of the problem that we are talking about here. The XY4 documentation never mentions long filename, so I presume that the the XY4 code uses only the old DOS calls for IO, which intrinsically deal only with 8.3 uppercase filenames.
I was hoping Carl or Robert, who wrote them and really understand them, would answer this, but SOMEBODY needs to. What Flash was referring to is the U2 collection of programs for Xy4, to be found at http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/. They are written in XPL (Xy's own programming language), but some of them call system (i.e., DOS, VDM, and Windows) routines and external utilities. Those that call DOS/Windows routines obviously won't work under Linux, but I noticed that Jeff Seager (1/24/08) lamented "the loss of the U2 functionality" under Linux, which leaves me wondering why the purely native Xy routines wouldn't work? Or even, with perhaps a bit of tweaking, those that, like TYP, PostGhost, and xy2pdf, rely on Ghostscript and GSView (both available, IIRC, on Linux)? More specifically, Flash was referring to LFN and DirLFN, routines for displaying Windows LongFileNames in Xy and calling files by them. They definitely call kmd.exe, so would NOT work in Linux. -- Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx