Re: Ultravision

Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 09:45:14 EST
From: "Thomas J. Hawley"
Subject: Ultravision

** Reply to message from Michael Norman
 on Sat, 01 Jul 2000
14:28:58 -0400

Give me your postal address and I'll send you a copy of
the Laptop Ultravision
docs.

I'm not sure that the problem can be solved, however. I
get Xy and UV to work
fine on my IBM ThinkPad 600, but only with the reduced
screen size. To drive
all the pixels needed to fill the LCD screen, you'd need
a higher resolution
than UV was written for, I think.

There's another solution, at least when you're not
mobile: connect a standard
CRT monitor to the laptop. Then you'll get full screen
and UV. The CRT can
adjust to different resolutions (within its design
range, of course), whereas
the LCD on the laptop needs resolution to drive every
pixel. When it doesn't
get the resolution, it cuts down on the number of
pixels, and the screen gets
smaller.

Ultravision is a real classic, and a great addition to
Xy. Unfortunately, the
hardware world has moved on and there's no demand for
DOS screen enhancers any
more.

Thomas J. Hawley
New York