Re: Re.: A matter of dictionaries.

** Reply to message from "M.W. Poirier"  on Sat, 03
Jun 2006 15:34:34 -0400 (EDT)

> Have others noticed that the Microlytics US and UK
>  dictionaries are the same?, in other words, the really
>  is no such thing as a "real" Microlyics UK dictionary.
>  What I means is that the U.K. "our" enders to words
>  like "favour," "colour," and the U.S. "z" for the U.K.
>  "s", as in "civilisation," are all in accord with U.S.
>  spelling in a dictionary that identifies itself as U.K.

Ummm... huh? What's the question? Plainly, U.K. flags "favor" as bad, and
U.S. flags "favour" as bad -- they're different! "All in accord with U.S.
spelling" means... what? UK is 141,901 bytes; US is 110,464 bytes. The
*active dictionary* must be named DICT.SPL; so best procedure is to keep
separate files named USDICT.SPL and UKDICT.SPL, and then COPY whichever file
you want to use to filename DICT.SPL. Since DICT.SPL can be anywhere in the
DOS Path, you don't want to leave extra copies of a file called DICT.SPL lying
promiscuously around, lest the wrong one get inadvertently loaded -- just one
copy in Editor's directory. AND, you need to restart XyWrite if you switch
dictionaries.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx