Re: Flash with Xy

Jordan:

1. Why not copy everything from the Flash drive to the host computer? You can delete it when done.

2. You can make all your references relative by using the SUBST command in autoexec.bat (or at any DOS prompt). Let's say the flash drive comes up as F: on the system you're using. I don't know if this works in XP or 2K but in W9X, do:

SUBST Z: F:

If you've permanently set up Xy to reference Z, you are all set. E.g., STARTUP.INT would have lines like:

BX LOAD Z:\XY4\SETTINGS.DFLQ2 ;*;

If you want, you can have the virtual (substituted) drive represent a path:

SUBST Z: F:\XY4

Then you don't need all those references to \XY4 in STARTUP.INT.

In the former case, you get a DOS prompt an enter
Z:\XY4 EDITOR

in the latter, you enter:
Z: EDITOR

I think Robert originally suggested this devious ploy.
I'm wondering if anyone has taken Xy -- the full program -- around
with them on a Flash or "cigar" drive, and run it from there ?  If so,
wouldn't you need to do something moderately clever with Settings.DFL
etc. (if it can be done), because the keychain drive could end up
being anything from Drive D: to H:, or even beyond that ?  Something
with -- I forget the exact term, at the moment -- %, ad-hoc values for
the relative location of the program files ?  Possibly there is a
little monograph on this topic already ?  (I vaguely recall something
along those lines called "Portable Xy", but I happen to be on the
road  just now . . . .)

Jordan

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx