RE: searching for text across subdirectories

At 05:14 PM 9/19/03 -0700, Brian Henderson wrote:

>I'm not sure how this thing compares to other search
techniques/applications but I rather like this little freeware
>doohickey that's some version of the AltaVista search engine. It gives you
a local-disk internet-type search ability. At
>the time I got it, I was warned that it was about to become unavailable
(for what reason, I don't know), and I'd better
>download it soon (this was about a year ago I think). Anyway, I you'd like
to check it out, it's posted on my site,
>here:
>
>www.xywrite.com/misc/AltaVistaSearch-install.exe

Brian,

This is a great find! I was searching all over the Internet for this file.
I found it on a web page in France, but when I tried to download it
(several times) it seemed to d/l OK, and at the end, gave me an error
message and there was nothing on my hard drive.

>P.S. If you have a large hard drive and a lot of files, it could take
quite awhile for this thing to create an index.

That's right. Indexing programs can take a long time to index, and they can
create huge files as well. I have about 80 mb of XyWrite files, and my
dTsearch index is 60 mb. It takes about 15 minutes to index. But I have
about 200 mb of email lists, and when I want to update my email index, I
let it run all night, and sometimes it's still running when I get up in the
morning.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D