Re: XYWDos v XyWin

** Reply to message from Paul Williams  on Mon, 03 Jan
2005 12:38:35 +0100

Paul:

> Suddenly it appears to have lost one of the printers ... I press
> ... SETUP in the dialog box and in the
> list of installed printers there is ziltch.

Is this a systemwide problem? Wild guess: I've seen this when the Print
Spooler got lost or messed up (it happens). Go to a DOS prompt and try this:
 net stop "Print Spooler"
Watch the response. If it says the spooler was "stopped successfully", then
your problem is not the spooler. But if it says "The Print Spooler service is
not started" then that is your problem (no spooler, bad spooler). Either way,
you want to issue this command next:
 net start "Print Spooler"
Watch the response. If it can't start successfully, then... well, that's the
problem. (But then _what_? A bundle of non-XyWrite-related problems, I
suspect.)

> What does XyWDos do so much better than XyWin?

It runs.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx