Re: DOS environment

** Reply to message from fenda@xxxxxxxx on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:25:21 +0100

> I am using XyWrite under W2000 with the following parameter: /e4000. Is
> it necessary to modify the memory settings from AUTO to 5120? Under
> W98SE, the AUTO parameter worked perfectly.

How do you know that?

What would happen if it wasn't working perfectly? Since it only affects
spelling (AFAIK), most people are blithely unaware of its existence. And how
does this "AUTO" work anyway? If it always serves up the memory required, why
is there an option to set it manually? How do you know it doesn't serve up too
much memory? Anyway, the setting has a big effect on spelling, especially
using non-U.S.English dictionaries, or toggling between various dictionaries.

4608 is probably enough. Expanded=4608, Extended=None, DPMI=Auto [none
required, AFAIK]

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx