First Contact

I've been a non-contributing subscriber to this listserver for several
months. To introduce myself and tell all a bit about how I use XyWrite
(with apology in advance for lack of terseness):

I'm a consultant in laboratory information management systems (LIMS),
i.e., lab computerization, and an occasional author on that subject in
trade publications.

Been using XyWrite since version II. Still using III+ [v3.57]as a
production word processor with occational use of IV [v4.017](I like its
wild character search and replace function), most often with my III+
printer file. I have a library of more earlier releases than I can
count on my fingers and toes. I now run XyWrite under Windows95 and even
use it as a viewer for some Windows applications.

I've still got Signature in its shrink wrap.

My primary output is technical specification documents -- about 50-100
pages long, heavily edited, heavily formatted, with multi-level
paragraph numbering and cross referencing, and with lots of stuff
contributed by others using different word processing platforms.

My XyWrite III+ printer files are highly customized so I've given up on
the idea of converting them to XyWrite IV, font-based files (unless
someone has some clever ideas on this subject). By creative additions
to my printer file, I've been able to add bullets and copyright symbols
and get a multitude of useful type sizes. Unfortunately, I have found no
way to translate printer- specific escape code sequences associated with
"PT" tables, into corresponding font name and size designations. For
production printout of long documents for draft use, I use a Canon BJ300
bubble jet printer because its quiet and it has tractor feed. It can
gobble up a 2700 page carton of fan-fold with little attention (I find
fan-fold a lot easier to handle then loose un-numbered sheets).

My XPL programming has been limited to such things as automated
generation of Tables of Contents from unmarked text (by finding title
lines based on format).

For correspondence and for more elegant looking output, I now
(reluctantly) use Word for Windows95 and an HP855C color ink jet
printer.

My clients desire output not just in hard copy but in word processor
compatible files -- usually Word for Windows. I have found no easy way
to convert XyWrite III+ files which specify "PT" or Style to any more
popular format. I use Word for Word (Pro), but usually end up stripping
a XyWrite file down to ASCII and reformatting it from scratch in Word.
When this happens I am definitely not a happy camper.

As you can see, paradise for me is where I can accept text input in Word
or Word Perfect files, convert, add original material and edit in
XyWrite, and then convert back to Word for final printing and client
output. So much for fantasy.

This group has given me hope in sticking with XyWrite rather than in
abandoning it completely. I'm not sure thanks are in order -- I hope
we're not all collectively trying to hold back the tide.

Will keep up with these postings as best I can and will respond to
queries when I can say "been there, done that."

One Question: Does this listserver offer a "digest" mode? (i.e., daily
compillation of correspondence rather than individual messages).

P.S. A special "Hi" to anybody in this group who used to be a member of
the XyWrite Users Group in NYC (Hosted by George Velasi at Chernow
Editorial)- I still miss the after meeting Chinese dinners.
Joseph H. Golden              |
Laboratory Management Systems, Inc.    | LIMS consulting services
301 East 21st Street            | Multidisciplinary teams
New York, NY 10010-6534          | since 1982

Phone/Fax:  (212)-473-2018        |
E-Mail:   jhgolden@xxxxxxxx      |

`Every complex problem has a simple, easy to state, easy to understand,
 wrong answer'... misquote of H. L. Mencken