Re: Off-Topic -- Apparently intractable problem with MSWord

I would look again for a virus.. that error message still reads like one
of hte warnings I found on the Norton/Mcafee web sites. :)

>   I apologize for taking the list's time with a non-Xywrite question.
But
> there's a chance that one of you can shed some light on this problem:
>   Several weeks ago, my computer froze when I attempted to open a Word
> document on a Zip disk sent to me by a researcher with whom I am working.
>   The messages on the screen: "Error 1035 - Templates is not a short file
> name."
>   And "The system is dangerous low in resources. WinWord is not responding."
>   I rebooted and tried again several times with the same result.
>   The files I was opening had originally be MAC files, which the researcher
> had translated for p/c so I could read them. I had opened several without
> difficulty before disaster hit.
>   Since then, I can do anything on my computer except open any Word
> document.
>   I write for a living and am computer-illiterate, but my computer guru has
> worked for hours to no avail trying to figure out what went wrong. He has
> taken the machine into his shop, run virus checks (finding nothing), deleted
> and reinstalled MS Word, and actually got it to function briefly, went to bed
> thinking it was fixed, and woke up the next day to find it broken again. He
> says this makes him think it's a virus of some kind -- but he's never
> encountered one like it, nor have the people he has consulted.
>   Everything else seems fine, including Xywrite -- which thank God is what
> I work in. And I am using only a fraction of the hard drive capacity. But
> everyone with whom I communicate professionally sends me copy in Word. I
> can't function very long without it.
>   The only remaining recourse I'm aware of is to remove and reinstall the
> operating system, which is Windows 98. I haven't yet tried that and naturally
> I'd rather avoid it if possible.
>   Has any of you heard of anything like this before?
>
>   Lynn Brenner
>   (718) 855 2179

"After all, submarining has always been a game of Blind Man's Bluff."
               -- a top submarine admiral

Sherry@xxxxxxxx