Re: Stopping USB from XY4

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Tue, 3 Jan
2006 13:20:48 GMT

> This is, I imagine, the same problem that I experienced with OED which you
> explained as being because the program was running in the same memory space as
> XY4 and changed the font while doing so. Is it possible to remedy it in a
> similar way?

Probably:
 dos/nv/x/z /c kmd/c start GoXy.exe c:\XY4\BREEZE.GO "" c
Something like that. What special font are you using, and how do you load it?

> The query is about the script switching back to XY4 (I'm running full screen)
> at the end of the second line of the script and also at the end of the third
> line, so that the return to XyWrite on conclusion line of script appears
> unnecessary. Is this normal?

Let's back up. You said "I tried to progamme this ALT-S myself into the script
but could not make it work."
 key(AL)s

> (It is doing exactly as you suggest and killing the first device in the list.)

What I'm suggesting is the opposite. You need conditional evaluation, to find
the correct line in the "Stop a Hardware Device" window, and then kill that one
line (and its indented dependencies), only.

> If I test this by installing two USB drives at once it kills the first one
> listed, and leaves the second. It would certainly be better to modify the
> script so that after the ALT-S from the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" window
> called up the "Stop a Hardware Device" window it then found the correct device
> (ie Ut161 ..., or perhaps even "Generic volume - (F:)").

I agree. That's what I tried to program from the beginning! You need a second
line of conditional logic to manage the second ("Stop a Hardware Device")
window. But I can't see your screen. Please send me a screenshot of the "Stop
a Hardware Device" window, and indicate which line you want to stop. I said
from the start that on a Desktop you don't want to kill the USB adapter (which
presumably appears on the first line), just the device currently connected to
the adapter (probably on the second or third line). Frankly, I'm surprised
that after killing the adapter you are subsequently able to reconnect a
different USB device to it. But maybe Desktops are more lenient in this
regard, I don't know.

If you run the script with KMD/C START then you need to enable that last line
in the script, the line that returns to XyWrite
 key(JW{TO})
because you are no longer running in XyWrite's memory space.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx