Drag 'n Drop w/ XyWin in OS/2 -Reply

Try this doug....

Put the Icon for XyWin on your Desktop or your Task Bar. Then simply drag whatever
document you want to edit to that icon and drop it on the
XyWin icon. Xywrite will run, then call up the document you dropped.

Another trick: Associate certain file extensions with XyWin. Open the
Settings notebook for the XyWin icon. Select "Assocations." In the "New
Name" box, type in the extensions you wish to associate with XyWrite..... for example,
*.TXT, *.DOC, *.XY4, etc. Select "Add" for each one you want. Then close the settings
notebook.

Now: Every time you open a folder, all files ending in TXT, DOC, XY4, etc. are associated
with XyWin, and are represented by XyWin icons! Just double-click on the file you want, it
launches XyWrite, and then XyWrite pulls in the file for editing.

Steve

>>> "Beeson, Douglas" 05/22/96 12:34pm >>>

Has anyone figured out how to make XyWrite for Windows accept a DOS session command line
parameter under OS/2 to open a specified file upon startup?
I have been trying to get the drag and drop feature of OS/2 (and WIN 95, presumably) to
work. It seems that any paramenter fed to XW.EXE on the command line causes it to open the
*first* file it sees in the current directory (AFTER running through XWSTART.INT). This
appears to be true regardless of whether I start XyWin through the OS/2 desktop (settings
notebook using Optional Parameter %* and full screen session), through an
OS/2 command line session as "start 'XyWin' /fs xw.exe toto.xy4" , or through a File Run
dialog box under seamless Windows as "xw toto.xy4"
(where toto.xy4 is the file I want to open).

Can anyone shed any light?

doug beeson