Re: Off-topic request for assistance

Eric Van Tassel wrote:

>Though I was castigated not long ago for imposing on this list to help me
>with non-XyWrite queries, I'm doing so again.

And I'm going to castigate you again (though it wasn't me before).

The internet is a great place. Whatever else it is now, it was and
still is a magnificent source of information. This list is for
XyWrite issues. There are simply too many other places to find
what it is you're looking for to ignore -- in favor of cluttering
up this listserv.

There is, for example, www.deja.com, which archives usenet posts.
A simple search there for "best windows95 books" will give you,
practically instantaneously, several dozen references. And won't
tax the patience of anyone here.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. But you might consider this
corrollary: if you ask and get answers here to your non-Xy
questions, you will get the answers you deserve. To take a recent
example: someone recently asked about Linux, and got something like
a dozen answers about the best versions, shells, etc. Out of those
the rest were based on non-current information, and were actually
unhelpful, despite their best intentions.

>I don't agree -- I'd be proud to be associated
>both with her and with Bryn Mawr -- but she has a whim of iron and won't be
>gainsaid.)

Sounds like a BMC gal to me.

-Rafe Tennenbaum (Haverford College, '79)

raphaelt@xxxxxxxx
www.ray-field.com