Re: OS/2 & Cyrix

James Eibisch wrote:

> I assume you mean XyWin, not XyDos? NCs with ICA, X/3270 and JVM
> support should run most apps.

  And Ntrigue. But no, I'm figuring XYDOS, and other dos apps. Since
we'll be able to run anything running on WarpServer or WNT server.

> Indeed, I was forgetting picoJava and its ilk. I suspect that existing
> Sun sites will stay with Sun, HP with HP, etc., even if they're

 We'll start with Sun Solaris and Solaris x86 servers and JavaOS for
Intel boxes at first, gradually replacing the Intel with JavaStations,
or perhaps Sega NC's (if that occurs.)

> Sorry to go off-topic, but I don't see this type of reasoned
> discussion on these matters on the newsgroups.

  Don't think it's really off-topic, since many of the remaining XY
shops will be looking at the same options, in due time. Not the
stand-alone users, perhaps, but for corporate use, the NC scenario is
hard to beat. Pentium workstations for people to do wordprocessing on is
simply too absurd to contemplate -- but the cost of network maintenance
is even more absure. Averaging $13,500 per machine per year for
networks.
  XY started off, as we recently read here, as a cheap network
alternative. At this point, when the networks try to get cheaper, XY
will simply fade into the past -- they haven't even begun to look at the
future.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.dibbs.net/~hseaver
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the