Re: Collapsible outline

Mark Seiler wrote:

> In addition to walk (which only runs under III+),

Has anyone tested it under IV ? From time to time, the XPL gurus
here have stated that xpl changes from v. 3 to 4 were relatively
minor, and not really a significant barrier to portability of the
code. (Or at least, that's the way I remember it.) This example
might tend to argue in the other direction.

> I believe that Bob Stone wrote his own screenplay system in XPL
> which included a collapsible outliner and some integration into
> the boarding process. I say "believe" both because this was a
> long time ago and my memory is somewhat fuzzy (fido-net days)
> and because I never saw a working version.

Yeah, that name is familiar from somewhere, but I was never on
Fido. Possibly RIME (a.k.a. Relaynet, which some Fido systems
may have echoed into ??, and which did have an active XY forum
for awhile). I don't want to trust my memory on this either, and
don't want to unfairly malign Bob Stone, but there were some
participants who -- very antithetical to the way Carl, Robert and
other Xy luminaries always worked -- simply liked to talk a good
game, and very few people, if anyone, ever saw their work,
leading one to suppose it could well be vapor; I hope Stone
wasn't one of those, but I do recall some grandiose claims made
in such forums, either to impress or to tantalize, with no
evidence ever materializing to back them up.

Jordan