Windows 95 (sorry, but you're all I've got)

Not a xyw issue, but ..
This non-problem is causing me to loose sleep. Somebody
more familiar with the windows 95 interface than I -
please point me in the right direction.

System properties says:
Compatability mode paging reduces overall system performance.
(additional lines for each of my hard drivers shows computer
operating in "MS-DOS compatability mode".

The ios.log file says:
Unit number 02 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 03 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 04 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 05 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 06 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 07 going through real mode drivers.
Unit number 08 going through real mode drivers.

Driver Name: io.sys
 Block Driver controlling 09 unit(s)
 Driver Info:
  Driver Address: 0070005E
  IOSYS INT 13: F0009602
  INT 13 Hook: 007003EE
  INT 4B Hook: F0005DE0
  INT 4F Hook: 007004FC
  Config.sys line number: 00000000

- I take this to mean that io.sys (a real mode
driver) is running the hard disks because the
system can't find a "protected mode" driver.

How do I fix this? - Is there a place out there where
all Windows 95 questions are answered by knowledgable
people? All suggestions appreciated.

Joe Solla