Re:Tame (was: XY and Win2k)

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Fri, 29
Nov 2002 19:14:49 +0000

Paul:

> I did as you suggested - well almost - and managed to get XY3 loaded as the command
> shell in w2k. As you suspected, it made no difference to the performance in a box.
> Oh, well. It seemed worth a try. I am currently forced to use Win98se; XY in a
> box under w2k is awful and having got used to the sharp fonts I get when operating
> in a box, I cannot readjust to the full screen DOS fonts.
> I hope there is a solution, somewhere.

There is a solution, and it is now public. Go to:

http://www.tamedos.com/

and download Tame v4.41 (N.B. this has slightly later file dates than the
private version I sent to you a few hours ago, so go get the public version).
It is specifically engineered for XyWrite, and represents a lot of David
Thomas's time and effort. On my machine, it resolves all problems. Martin
Osborne intends to report his experience shortly, but he is positive (and
considering that he has been the most acute critic of these issues, that's very
heartening). Tame can be tweaked for even better performance, via the
registry. A private REGEDIT4 file (developed by David) that optimizes for
XyWrite is attached to this msg; after you install Tame v4.41, run the REG
file. If anyone is interested, there is another tweak that graphically
demonstrates how Tame handles the screen, versus how the Operating System
refreshes the screen -- a very startling difference.

If you like the overall result, send David his twenty U.S. bucks. (How often
have we gotten an independent developer to help us with our particular
problems? Maybe *never*?) Registration disappears the nags (you can run the
full-feature demo for 30 days). If we have residual problems, he'll help us to
resolve them. Remember, too, that this is not just a narrow WinNT program;
Tame's main purpose is elimination of CPU hogging by legacy DOS apps, which is
pertinent in 9x as much as NT. On my machine, CPU usage with XyWrite in the
foreground (in focus) drops from around 97-100% without Tame, to less than 1%
with Tame. That's amazing.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx