Re: No more XP lag with Tamedos

At 12/27/2004 05:35 PM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
Oh! 69=AS. Well, I'm tempted to say "Brilliant!" -- but I certainly don't
want to be snotty, because I'll get another chastisement from Mr. Ed Reading.
What the hell, let it rip. I felt like a damn fool when I discovered it.
All that sturum und drang over a miss-assigned key. But, hey, sliver
lining, you offered some basic debugging reminders and that process led me
quickly to the errant key.
Look, there are certain keys that are *hardware* keys, what XyWrite calls
"toggle keys", that you cannot mess around with: ScrollLock, NumLock,
CapsLock, Mouse. If you reassign them to something other than the functions
assigned to them by your machine's ring 0 BIOS, and possibly by your keyboard
hardware, and certainly by any Windows operating system, you are asking for
trouble -- especially in a multitasking environment.

Good to be reminded of this, even if you said it before and it's remedial.
What does matter is this: the selected overflow file Dir should have a good
amount of free disk space, say 15-20Mb, and the drive should be defragged, so
that overflow files are written there in one piece. Moreover, it should be a
stable directory that *NEVER* has a file in it with a *.TMP extension (I use
the Speedo font dir, d:\XY4\BTFONTS) -- because the overflow files can
sometimes be left hanging around on disk, and they can accumulate, and they can be fairly large (2-3Mb apiece sometimes), and they all have TMP extensions. So what I do is have a line in STARTUP.INT that points at my DR spec, and does the
following -- these are the *first two* instructions issued by INT, after the
drive-blind code that I described the other day, which essentially makes my
installation transportable between machines, and which stored "d:\XY4\" in
:

BX d dr=BTFONTS\Q2 ;*;
BX dos/nv/x/z /c del BTFONTS\*.TMPQ2 ;*;
I understand. But what about the DF DR= in Settings.dfl? Why would you need
two settings for TMP files?

Michael Norman