From: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joseph Fisher
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 4:40 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: bad excuse but inquiry

> Bottom line, my new Gateway laptop with Windows XP is completely dead.

Mimi,

How dead is dead? Are we talking computer will not power-up or just
that the HD will not boot?

If the HD is accessible one suggestion/solution could be to boot into
C: via the Win install CD or emergency floppies (It's been a couple
years since I upgraded the wife's machine to XP - Does anyone know if
XP even allows for making emergency boot floppies?) and then backup Xy
onto floppies- as Patricia mentions in her recent post, Xy will fit
onto floppies.

If the mainboard is toasted or some other component you might get some
friendly tech to remove the drive and slip it into an external HD caddy
and read it via another functioning notebook computer or someone in the
know could slip the drive in another laptop in order to backup the HD
files you need. I've done that before but then I've been known to have
a stack of ten laptops in the hobby room at the back of the house too -
but somehow my wife still loves me -