Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

** Reply to message from Carl Distefano  on Wed,
30 May 2007 22:04:44 -0400

> The consensus seems to be that it's a video driver issue, i.e., that
> Vista drivers (WDDM) do not support full-screen mode, and that to
> get full screen you need to install XP video drivers (XDDM) in
> Vista.

Thanks! Very interesting. If that's so, then it follows that
the reason FullScreen works for me must be that my graphics card
(an Intel 950) doesn't have WDDM drivers, and thus falls back on
older graphics drivers. Quite odd, because H-P stickers all
over this brand-new box proclaim that it was "built for Vista".

If FullScreen is hardware dependent under Vista, then going
forward, as hardware increasingly adapts to Vista requirements,
FullScreen will be less and less common out-of-the-box.
(However, manufacturers will probably provide XP drivers for a
long while to come.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx