Re: a few XyWrite kindergarten questions

Mimi Gauthier LeBien wrote:

> I mean to edit a save/get file. When I do this in XyWin (by using the
> "menu" tool "Macro Options") a message comes up that says "access denied."

I have XyWin, but almost never used it, so the value of my comments could be nil

if the XyWin way of doing things is radically different (which it apparently
often
can be), and there is no alternate, legacy-but-still-compatible method in XyWin.

The save/get file is -- unlike most Xyfiles -- in some sort of proprietary
format.
That is, I don't think there is any way to access it like a text file for
editing purposes.
It can contain either boilerplate text or (smaller) programs, or both. I don't
think it
can be printed out, in its entirety, for perusal. Quite possibly, the jumbo .U2
may
provide some additional tools for dealing with .SGT files; I haven't checked,
and
don't know how well .U2 meshes with XyWin. (The main paradigm of .U2 is
to move Xy-user-code into a Help Frame repository, rather than run it elsewhere,

such as in a .SGT file, where it would consume more memory resources. I must
confess to still having some small routines in my .SGT file, which is loaded by
default.)

Anyway, I still edit my .SGT files the way I did in the 3+ days. ALT-F2 gives
an overview of the file's contents. This wasn't scrollable in 3+, but is in
Xy-4.
CTRL-F2, followed by the key the text or program is loaded onto, displays all
of the text or routine invoked by ALT+ that key. You need to be mindful of
possible conflicts, if you have an ALT table with macros in your .KBD file, as
I do. When removing or replacing a .SGT macro, I use the command

REMOVE E  {for example, to clear a macro on "E." The .SGT file must be
loaded, of course.}

I can edit the boilerplate or routine, then

 LDSGT macro-name, E

using the full filename if it is a program. LDSGT is mainly for loading the
full .SGT file, but I recall using it this way also, as it is cumulative. You
just
need to remember to STore the amended result as a new .SGT file. Boilerplate
text would instead be Defined, then hit F2, then specify the key it is to be
loaded
onto. There are a number of other commands for manipulating the .SGT
file. If this stuff all went out the window in XyWin, with some mandatory Menu
procedure replacing it, never mind. Ditto for Xy4DOS, to anyone who has messed
around with the stock keyboard assignments for F2. But if these commands still
apply for you, and you don't have access to the Xy-3 manual, I could certainly
Xerox the relevant pages.

Jordan