Re: ...greatest keyboard(s)...

>  Speaking of the IBM Model M, I have such a keyboard. I recently retired
  it because of its lack of a Windows key. Is there a way of remapping the
  right Alt key on the Model M so as to convert it to a Win key? Or am I
  just completely off the mark with this question? Of course, I don't
  claim to know much about computers.

The Avant Stellar has its own keyboard remapping software, but there are programs that work with any
keyboard. Microsoft gives an excellent program for free: Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FB7B3DCD-D4C1-4943-9C74-D8DF57EF19D7&displaylang=en

This is actually a program for software developers, but easy enough for normal users, too.

A commercial program is even easier (drag-and-drop) and has more options: KbdEdit
http://www.kbdedit.com/

I have used both. The MS has some inherent limitations, and KbdEdit its quirks. KbdEdit wants you to
load a proprietary keyboard dll manager, but you can circumwent this by building the final keyboard
with the MS tool (which means you are stuck with the limitations the MS program has!).

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx