Re: Code pages

Michael Norman wrote:
And I as well. But forgive me, I've lost the point of all this. I
assume, only assume, that if Code Page 850 did not load, I would not be
able to use U2's accents routine. No?
No wonder! To recap: Harry and you and Jordan (and I think some
others) reported that VA/NV LA reports 437 even though they have set
LA=850 in settings.dfl. Harry also could not get accents to work right
under ANSIFS (but I didn't know he was using ANSIFS). I found that, on
my W98SE, W2K, and XP machines, VA/NV LA always yielded 850 unless I
was in expanded mode or had a directory on the screen. We were
therefore trying to figure out why you guys were getting 437 where I
get 850. Note that in the next post, Jordan says he gets 437 in a
blank screen, where I get 850.
Manuel brought up the issue of the DVM Code Page, but it looks to me
as if Xy is somehow able to override that setting within its own
operations. (Recall that Xy has a separate Variable LA, as well as
CP). If I shell to DOS, I too get 437, but Xy still works in 850.
If you can use accents correctly, I suppose the question is purely
theoretical, but, as I said, it bothers me. Computers shouldn't do
things like that.

Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx