Have you tried altering your startup file so that that is the only
printer listed? Do you then get the error message on opening XyWin?
	A good way to test if a printer is a "real" one or a "dumb" WinPrinter
(besides brand: HP and Epson are real, having each its own Page
Description Language, PCL for the HP, ESC/2 for the Epsons; Postscript
is, of course, real; and Canon is definitely dumb) is to go to a DOS
prompt (preferably by booting into DOS, but I gather XP doesn't allow
that; otherwise from within Windows) and try using the old DOS print or
copy...lpt1 to send a plain text file (read.me, readme.txt, or any .bat
or .ini file on your drive; do FIND to get a list), or use the > pipe to
send a directory listing, to the printer. If something comes out, you've
got a smart printer, and just have to find out which of the standard
protocols it can emulate. If nothing happens, the printer has no smarts
of its own and is strictly a WinPrinter--and probably cannot be used with
Xywrite.
	Here are the DOS commands:
c:>print filename.ext
or
c:>copy filename.ext lpt1
or
c:>dir c:\*.*>lpt1
It's that last that one really needs to be able to do (Windows has NO WAY
for you to get a printout of a directory listing), so that even people
who never heard of XyWrite would be well advised to avoid WinPrinters.
Patricia