Printing problems under Win98SE

Lately I have been suffering from a curious printing problem. I am
working under Win98SE. The problem appears either with a full screen
session or a windowed session. If I attempt to print from XyWrite I get
a message "Printer not ready" unless I have already printed from a
windows program. Then I can send a job printing to the printer from
every windows application and XyWrite prints perflectly from that point
on. Any similar experiences? Any suggestions?
Manuel Castelao