Re: log9807

"Yo Intl." wrote (in response to someone else's post)
:
Someone else:

> >You may already know this, but in case you don't:
> >
> >Win 98 does not need an autoexec.bat file, but can use one. To find its
> >spellchecker and thesaurus, XyWrite needs to be first in a path command.
> >
> >Run Sysedit and set up a path command in the empty Autoexec.bat file with
> >XyWrite first after the root directory and see if that helps.

Rene:

> Why Sysedit? Isn't XYwrite exactly the program to open and edit a
> c:\autoexec.bat file with?

Yes. I use XyWrite for all those chores. And I have found that XyWrite need
not be first in the path statement, merely there. Those who have two versions
of XyWrite, or perhaps one version of XyWrite and NB, should take good care,
however: that directory which comes earliest in the path statement governs
when it searches for an executable.

Therefore, if you have, say, and Xy3 and an Xy4 directory, both with files
named editor.exe, and if Xy3 appears before Xy4 in your path statement, that
is the version that will open if you are not in the Xy4 directory. As far as I
know this is true in DOS, that op. sys from Microsoft whose name I shall not
speak of, as well as Win 9X and, I suppose, will be true in Win 2000 as well.
But who knows what Gates will pull this time, as he competes with Alan
Greenspan for the title of Master of the Universe.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)