From: Bill Troop
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 5:22 PM
Subject: When will XP support _really_ end?

I just happened to see this in the Wikipedia entry on Win XP:

>"Extended" support for XP will end on April 8, 2014, after which
>Microsoft will no longer provide any more security patches or
>support information for XP, unless customers have a paid, "Custom"
>support plan.

So: XP support will indeed continue, but only for certain customers.
Given how huge XP usage still is, and how sensibly reluctant XP
customers are to upgrade to Win 8.1, I wouldn't be surprised to see
some kind of U-turn in the following weeks. XP customers can't
officially upgrade to Win 7, which would make sense, since it is not
sold anymore, and 8.1 would be intolerable for most (though it is
fine for me personally), so my guess is that until Win 9 at the very
least, XP support may have to continue.

That said, I do not see the need to be panicky about 'updates' on a
VM that is not connected to the Internet or that is and has high
quality AV and firewall protection.