Re: DesqView and XyWrite

On Tue, 20 Dec 1994, Nathan Sivin wrote:

> It is hard to tell what to make of your problem with XY slowing
down when > multitasking under Warp without knowing how much
memory you have, etc. I > do the same thing with Windows for
Workgroups 3.11, and find no change in > the speed of XYDOS
while running other DOS programs, TwinBridge Chinese > input,
and WordPerfect 6.1, and dialing into the U. Library with >
Crosstalk (all in Windows) at the same time. That's with 16MB
and a 10MB > Windows swap file running with a 13ms hard disk.

That's the difference; 8 MB apparently isn't enough for speedy
multi-tasking. And I'm not about to spend even more money on new
memory; my charge cards are already screaming in agony.

I have a DX/2, 66 MHZ, 8 mb of memory. I tuned OS/2 pretty
carefully, with some expert advice, and it made a
difference--but it's still not nearly as fast as DesqView, in my
peculiar applications.