Re: Wikipedia entry on XyWrite

Carl Distefano wrote:
I have a vague recollection that the
Wikipedia article on XyWrite used to read a lot better than it does
now. I'd love to see it revamped,
If that was a hint (I am an editor by profession), I might even
have a few minutes this week (no council meeting to cover), but
my Internet connection is royally scrambled. Actually, I suspect
the problem is in the phone lines: they're always bad (so bad
they won't reliably support DSL, and I loathe the local cable
franchise), but lately it's ridiculous: I tried on my desktop
this morning (to see if some setting on the laptop had changed)
and was connecting as 230 bits per second (XP tells you what
connection speed you've got; Vista doesn't). Then I tried my
other ISP (Juno) from the laptop, connected at 19,300 bps (Juno
told me that), and then had the connection drop. And, of course,
Verizon told us 10 years or more ago that "if you're having a fax
or modem problem, don't tell us. We don't support data over the
regular phone lines."
To be fair, we've had a couple of humdingers of thunderstorms the
past week, so maybe some connection is out. But there was also
that piece in the paper, saying Verizon wasn't bothering with
maintenance of the regular phone lines, it was so busy rolling
out FIOS. (Which, by the by, I am reliably informed, goes out if
you have a power outage. And while there's a battery backup that
gets installed in your cellar, it only lasts 8 hours. Hereabouts,
one can be without power for days. FIOS also has issues with
emergency response services. And it's dear!)
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx