Re: III+ and long filenames (Was: XyWrite III plus and 33Meg limit)

" On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:37:16 -0800 (PST), Daniel Say wrote:
" Daniel Say wrote
"  [most of the thread-history deleted]
" ...
" >	What it doesn't do is "see" long filenames.
" >	And there is a fix for that at the Di Stefano
" >	and Holgrem website.
" >					Daniel Say
" >					say@xxxxxxxx
"  And here I've been struggling to tolerate various other editors, and
" only because I didn't think XyWrite could handle HPFS (and/or NTFS) long
" filenames.

	in Hobbes, the archive of public and shareware OS/2 software

	in /pub/os2/apps/wp
	you can find the XY4 (sorry) program to manipulate with
	long file names.

	What I do is use ZTreeBold, an OS/2 file manager to
	shorten the name temporarily and then change back
	after editing.

"  Your comment encouraged me to revisit the Xywwweb site, which I had
" previously (mis?)understood to support exclusively for XyWrite 4. There
" is, after all, a conspicuous declaration very near the top of the page to
" that effect:
"  "Software Requirements and Technical Support for All XyWWWeb
"   Programs:
"  " 1) XyWrite IV for DOS, or XyWrite for Microsoft Windows...."
"
"  Until today, I've taken that at face value - but if it's not quite true,
" this unregenerate 3.57 user might be _very_ happy.
"
"  Could someone please explain which (if any) of Holmgren's extremely
" useful items can be used with III+? In particular, can any of the
" "Operating System Interface" group, especially "Xy-OS/2" really be used
" with III+???
"
"  I've been using 3.57 for years, (usually under OS/2 in fact,) but have
" never simultaneously been able to spare both the time and the money for
" upgrading to Xy4DOS. I cheerfully admit that "Xywwweb.u2" alone should be
" sufficient reason, but still...
"
"
" Thanks!!!