Re: Drive Image--OT

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Fri, 06 Jan 2006
16:49:33 -0500

> I think there
> are two issues here: 1) can I read the external firewire drive from what is
> on the factory CD functioning as a boot disk, 2) if so, will I be able to
> put everything back from the image to C: in a way that restores C: to the
> state it was in when I made the image?

I think the answer to 2) is Yes (assuming that you are restoring "itself", i.e.
the same drive); but 1) is the issue. Drive Image is the one that is (or was)
made by PowerQuest, right? Does it boot its own operating system the way PQ's
Partition Magic does? If so, it may be capable of restoring the image -- what
do the docs say?? Surely they have some way of managing this situation,
otherwise what's the point?

But if you're just restoring an older "image" (set of files) from your current
system, why can't you use Windows' native Backup/Restore util to "restore"
everything from the Firewire drive, with your current system up and running?
Replace all files on the same drive?

What is it that you're trying to achieve here, and *why*?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx