RE: [virus]

Reply to note from pjd  Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:08:33
-0500

-> I'm not so sure that M Krok actually sent that virus (unless he
-> owns the "iafrica.com" computer.

That occurred to me, too. I've asked the U.Pa. sysop to verify that
the list server isn't involved. Beyond that, I'm not sure what can
be done, except to treat all attachments with the utmost skepticism
and care.

Well, actually, there are other precautions. You can download
headers only and delete suspicious attachments on the server before
retrieving mail. Or you can use a program like Hacksaw to download
mail as plain, undecoded text and safely ignore (or use XyWrite to
delete) binary attachments, which are harmless in text form. That's
how I handle all of my mail and, though it requires an extra step
(and an external program) to decode attachments, the comfort level
is well worth the extra trouble. Automation has its place, but too
much automation can backfire, sometimes.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx