Re: Networks are for corporations and offices, right?

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Mon, 12
Jun 2006 16:53:57 -0400

Patricia, may I say that I think your argument (below) is a tad over the top?
I meant my statement about networking positively -- very. Networking is great,
and need not expose you to any additional danger. Implementing a personal LAN
exposes you to ZERO additional danger -- I just don't see how that can happen
unless user stupidly opens up all ports to the WAN. If you expose printer port
515 to the WAN, what dire thing is going to happen? Somebody prints to your
printer and uses up all your paper? Sure, you're a node on the Internet. That
doesn't perforce mean that anybody can do anything to you. The quid pro quo of
the Internet is that if you contact another node, they NEED to contact you --
otherwise you get nothing back. I mean, I'm sorry to say it, but your PCs *do*
constitute a node on the "epitheted" network when you're connected (the same
network that services this maillist); if you so vehemently think they "should
not" be, then toss your modem and stop sending Email! You ask "how much time
and effort must one spend "securing" one's PCs"? My personal answer is, None.
I never think about it. I never scan my disks (but when I do, they're clean).
I run SpyBot once a month maybe (clean!). Every single time I've had a
problem, it was my own fault -- risks knowingly undertaken. If you acquire
malware, then YOU did the acquiring!

Why moreover should there be different kinds of nodes with "unmistakably
different kinds of addresses"? Parity is a crucial concept of the Internet,
and I for one like that -- it inhibits a takeover.

Above all, I fail entirely to see what your concerns have to do with marvellous
facilities like Remote Desktop, LPD/LPR, etc etc etc etc. If you used them,
you'd agree with me (in fact, you'd be blown away). But you don't, so you
don't. Your response is not a propos, IMO.

R.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx