Re: Mac and Xy

Robert wrote, re the Registry:
There's an argument for having a central container for that kind of info
-- and that's what the Windows Registry is.
An argument, yes. But there's a counter-argument: better to screw up one,
particular INI file than all of them at once. The Mac INI-equivalents (I
forget what they're called) are saved in case you want to re-install and go
back to your old personalizations. I think that's a feature not a problem.
But I concede this is all a priori: I have had little user experience on
the Mac.
 People seem to think that DMG (disk image) bundles and
"apps" are somehow different than Windows apps (MSIs etc) -- but
if you examine the structure, they're just root directories with
a subdirectory hierarchy. Where's the difference? Seems more a
matter of perception/presentation than reality.
Largely, yes. But one directory, with subdirectories, seems better to me
than what Windows does: put some parts in Program Files, some parts in
Windows\System32, and some parts in . . . you name it.
 Under VMware Workstation, I run Tiger 10.4.8
and Leopard 10.5.2 on several of my Windows boxes -- also, just
for the fun of thumbing my nose at Apple's insistence that I use
their hardware, I installed Tiger (which is a LOT less
resource-hungry than Leopard) as the base OS on a three year old
Thinkpad T60 (after wiping Windows). It runs fine.
Fascinating. So I can keep my Thinkpad X61, but VM Workstation, and run Mac
software?!

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx