Re: On button, & straight to the Command Line

"Yo Intl." wrote:

> At 01:14 AM 12/15/00 +1100, Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:
> >One thing I do not know is what will happen if you shell out to DOS
> >>from within XyWrite and then enter Win to start the GUI. Actually, I
>
> Wouldn't that mean running Windows from inside Windows?

Yes.

> Sounds to me like
> an extremely slow proposition.

And yes.

The best way to run _any_ DOS version of XyWrite under Win 9x, NT, or (I
would suppose) ME is to go to My Computer, right click on the editor icon,
click on create shortcut, drag the icon to the desktop, and click on it: you
are in business. Trying any other approach (such as, but not limited to,
opening the program in a DOS Window or running the program in DOS only mode)
will create conditions that, as Alice observed when regarding bottles marked
poison, are likely to disagree with you sooner or later.

And surely to run XyWrite under Windows and then run another version of
Windows under XyWrite leads us to the realm of the Infinite Regression, where
I am reasonably sure none of us wish to dwell.

While I have your attention, friends, mention was made in another thread that
3.52 is the best XyWrite version. Nonsense! It is insanity to use 3.52. If
you insist on clinging to 3+ at least use 3.55 or above. 3.55 (issued in 1989
or 1990) contained many bug fixes and improvements not found earlier. It's
the "classic" XyWite. It's a '57 Chevy two-toned yellow and white hardtop.

I realize this may come as a shock to those who like monochrome monitors
and/or believe God wants the F keys on the left. Nevertheless it is true.

> -- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo
> -- "Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong." (Oscar
> Wilde)

Well this time Rene isn't wrong. (And I don't mean to imply he usually is.)

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)