RE: Netscape, XyWrite, and the Media

Maybe the guys (I do mean guys) who used to punch paper tape had it right in
the first place. It won't be news to many on this list, but the whole idea
of embedded codes goes back substantially before XyWrite (or ATEX). I
remember entering "bell" codes on paper tape to drive an electromechanical
phototypesetter during the night shift at a photocomposition job shop; the
code to "turn off" earlier formatting and go back to the original default
was "bell X", if memory serves. It wouldn't surprise me to learn the same
ideas were used to format in teletyping and hot metal composition.

In that context it's certainly amusing to hear HTML described as the latest
new thing.

Peter Brown

pbrown@xxxxxxxx