Re: portable.int problems

Reply to note from "J. R. Fox"  Wed, 06 Nov 2002
18:51:08 -0800

> That being said, I must admit I did not know it was bad
> practice to LOAD the dictionary. That line has been in my
> Startup file forever. My impression is that Startup came out-
> of-the-box from TTG that way.

Jordan, you may be thinking of the line that LOADs DICT.HYP or
DICTION, the hypenation dictionary (customization-file label ;HY;),
or PERS.SPL or another personal spelling file (file label ;SP;),
both of which are editable text files. DICT.SPL is a binary file,
non-editable, with no customization-file label (and none possible).
The LOAD command doesn't know what to do with a file that doesn't
have that label. If your STARTUP.INT has a line that purports to
LOAD DICT.SPL, you should remove it.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx