Re: XPL techniques (was TODAY)

Robert Holmgren wrote:

I presume that the WAIT command, when cleared, reinitializes
internal variables and closes other commands. And it *can* take a while for
removable drives to spin up and do their stuff. Many commands demonstrably
require WAIT. It's present in all factory code. I always use it.

OK, that makes sense (of course)

The main one is W4W99INT.TMP. Why would you want to delete them? They delete
themselves!

Yes, but your own batch file for running the filters
outside of Xy (because there isn't enough RAM available
to run them within) has that "wait for deletion" code;
I quote:
W4W17F.EXE %1 /N /V2
echo WAIT a few seconds for conversion to delete temp files
pause

And that PAUSE requires a user to hit a key to
continue. I'm trying to bypass that so as to automate
the whole process. BUT, I just tried, as an experiment,
simply omitting that part from the batch file, so that
it just reads, e.g.,

W4W17F.EXE E:\XYINFO\2006\06SEP.TXT /N /V2
if exist E:\XYINFO\2006\06SEP.wp del
E:\XYINFO\2006\06SEP.wp
W4W48T.EXE E:\XYINFO\2006\06SEP.wp /N /V1

And it worked. That's on this fairly zippy
(by my trailing-edge standards) box; I'm
not sure it would work on the K6/2.

Apropos of speeds, I have two versions of xytowp.pm:
one is a kludge, creating the batch file by merging a
standard version (with %1 and %2 for the filespecs),
then CI to replace them with the actual filenames,
stored to XPL SGs. That runs invisibly on this box and
reasonably quickly on the slower ones. The other
follows what I assume is more normal programming
practice, storing the segments of the batch file to
SGs, then assembling them into the batch file. It is
painfully slow even here, and I shouldn't dare try it
on the antiques. So should one aim for speed or best
practices? (No doubt there's a third way I haven't hit
on yet.)

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx