To: ;
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: Footnotes/End notes formatting
At 02:26 PM 1/9/2008, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
House wants "citation" endnotes as they call them. To wit:
p. 222 ,And what a night it was...,: Miller, Adventures of The Mayflower Madame, 234.
Besides the extra work it takes to create this format, what is the
purpose? I recently read a book with that type of note, and I found it
quite annoying. Author-date citation, in the scientific and
social-scientific manner, I can see. Or traditional numbered notes. But
what end does this serve?
It serves the opinion of commercial publishers who are trying to make
their non-fiction books more reader-friendly, publishers who feel that
general readers -- rather than specialized readers, which is to say,
scholars -- are annoyed by those little numbers that keep popping up at
the end of sentences, interrupting the flow of the discourse. I have no
idea what readers like and don't like in that regard. At this point, I'm
concerned only with thoroughly documenting our sources for the reader. I
think we can do that and make the publisher happy at the same time. I
agree with you; I like the superscript numbers in the text. But, then,
I've spent a career trading in such texts. The real issue in the
business -- again, commercial non-fiction -- is not the form of the
footnote; it's the footnotes themselves and the sloppy way so many of
these stories are documented. Writers are forever taking shortcuts with
their documentation, for all the old and obvious reasons. I enjoy reading
footnotes, tracking the provenance of the material, the ideas. And I'm
guessing I have a lot of company on this list.

Michael Norman