Re: XYWRITe-compatible printers

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I know this is an ongoing discussion re printers; but does anyone on the list have recommendations as to a computer the XyWrite lover should buy before it disappears?
I should avoid Dells. Most of the jerky cursor and screen problems
reported here seem to have been on them. (And I have other horror
stories about that brand.) I have tried to collect data on hardware
when these questions come up, but have not gotten enough to establish a
real pattern. It does seem (but I may be prejudiced) that users of AMD
CPUs have fewer problems than Intel users. But not all Intel users have
problems by a long shot.
Win 2K seems to be the best opsys for Xy: powerful and stable as 9x is
not, but without the XP "issues" some have experienced, and without XP's
bemeaning eye-candy. So look for a system that has 2K drivers (check the
manufacturer's Web site or, in the case of a built-to-order system, the
motherboard and graphics card manufacturer's; sound and NIC will most
likely be built in to the mobo). If you have a copy of 2K, hang onto it.
IF not, try to find one (not easy; apparently a lot of people don't want
to use XP).

Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx
PS There is NO problem with printers anymore. Robert's TYP and Postghst.prn, along with APL GhostScript and Russell Lang's GSView, have solved that completely.