Re: 2 screen freezes in Xy4

Reply to note from Judith Davidsen  Wed, 16
Jan 2002 16:34:24 -0500

> The first was too bizarre to report: I was searching for a word
> in my email files in earthlink/netscape 4.78, but every I typed
> an e, explorer popped up, so I changed the search term but
> every time I hit an m, the desktop popped up. So I went the
> ctrl/alt/del route, which informed me that xywrite was not
> responding. Closed xywrite, reopened it and the problem
> disappeared.

This sounds like a "stuck" control key. If it happens again, try
repeatedly tapping all of your shifting keys -- Shift, Alt, Ctrl,
and any other shifting keys you've defined in your .KBD file --
until whatever key is stuck gets unstuck. When I say "tap", I don't
mean in combination with any other keys; just the keys themselves,
one at a time.

> Just a few moments ago I had a directory up and had hit alt+w &
> 1 to get to screen #1. The screen froze and a line maybe 3
> letters wide started jiggling above and below the first dot on
> the upper left of the directory. Had to use ctrl/alt/del to get
> out of xy and start it up again. There was no searching
> involved in this freeze (although I had been playing around
> with cwd  about ten minutes earlier).

This is truly weird behavior. I haven't a clue as to what might be
causing it. But I don't see any possible connection to CWD.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx