Re: .pif vs. lnk

At 12:40 PM 4/13/2006, you wrote:
Michael Norman wrote:
If you look at the file specs, you will see it's a .pif.
Hmm. On both 98Se and XP (IIRC), My computer or Explorer resolutely refuses to show an extension for either pifs or lnks, even though I have "Show extensions" turned on. The only place you can see that is on the General Tab of the Properties (that's 98; the XP box is in the office, which is closed today). Is that what you meant by File specs? Interestingly, if you use Find and spec *.pif or *.lnk, they all show up, but still with no extensions. (Again, 98SE only).
Patricia, when you create "Shortcut to Editor.exe" by right-clicking
on editor in a file manager, you can read its specs. Pretty sure that
was true in W98 as well. Searching, as you suggest, I find a number
of .pif's, including my editor.pif, this at [D]\Documents and
settings\[My Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick
Launch. (I installed the shortcut on the bottom task bar.)

michael.norman@xxxxxxxx