Re: Fw: help

The message below is from a former newspaper colleague. The Xy version in
question is 3.55; she's using floppies. Please can anyone help?
I forget if 3.55 made autosav1.tmp files as automatic backups. But she
should look in every document on the disk, in every subdirectory, to see if
there's an autosav(n).tmp, where "(n)" is a number.
Also, I have sometimes found success just choosing Ignore from the
Abort/Retry/Ignore/Fail prompt (assuming she's in DOS and is getting that).
If she's working with the TYPE command in DOS, choosing Ignore may cause
the thing to skip a bad spot but still show her much of the file.
Then there's always TYPE FILENAME > TEMPFILE, to get what flashes by on the
screen into an editable file. And many other such options. There's a very
high probability that 98% of the required characters are there in some file
or other, in some retrievable form.
But how on earth could one work on a floppy, without frequent saving to
hard drive (or other floppies)? Where does one even find floppies these days?

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx