 Subject: Re: Floppy disc images
 To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Monday, November 12, 2018, 11:01 PM

 Hello Myron,

 Normally, vDosXy and vDosPlus XyWrite need a
 ready installation of the program in a
 folder. Installing it from disk images is not supported,
 but there are virtual environments that support
 floppy disk image files. MS Virtual PC
 2004-2007 is the traditional way for doing this (I have
 blank floppies for Virtual PC on my site:
 http://www.lexitec.fi/xywrite/blanks.zip,
 and you can copy the contents of the
 original floppies via a shared folder to these blank floppy

 images, and save them and
 "insert" them into the virtual machine as
 needed). MS Virtual PC 2004-2007 cannot be
 installed on all modern systems, and can be
 quite a chore to set up if you have not done it before.

 Perhaps an easier way to
 accomplish this is by installing Win31DOSBox by
 Edward Mendelson: http://www.columbia.edu/%7Eem36/win31dosbox.html
 It supports virtual and real floppies (virtual
 in drive A: as files in the A-DRIVE folder,
 real in drive B:). The system has a separate DOS
 prompt what you can use bypassing the Windows
 3.1x part after it has been installed.

 But I would recommend using a
 ready installed copy of XyWrite, and using
 the vDosPlus installer to make it usable in
 Windows.

 Best regards,

 Kari Eveli
 LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
 lexitec@xxxxxxxxxx

 *** Lexitec Online ***

 Myron Gochnauer wrote:

 Since we’re on the subject of running XyWrite on a Mac or
 in a Windows or DOS emulator, perhaps someone can help me
 with this:

 > If I
 have a set of DOS-disk images for a program I want to
 install, but I don’t have an installed copy of the
 program, how should I proceed?  I can extract the
 installer program and run it, but typically it soon say
 something like ’Insert Disc #2". Is there a way of
 tricking the installer into accepting a disk image or a
 directory as ’Disc #2’?